Monday, March 21, 2011

The "Illusion" of Control

It was a hard weekend in the life of Firewheel Church. As many of you may already know, David Shaver, one of our faithful members died suddenly at the age of 46 on Saturday. I wish this was a new experience for Firewheel, but for the fourth time in the last 2-3 years we have had to deal with the death of someone "much too young."

Every time this happens, the Lord gently whispers in my ear "that illusion of control you think you have is just that...an illusion." I'm reminded today of just how fleeting life can be (James said something about our life being a "vapor"). I'm reminded that I'm not guaranteed tomorrow and for that matter, I don't know what the rest of the day holds. My five-year plans, my plans for next month are dependent on His will and His purpose. And all his ways and purposes are "good," even when they don't look "good" from our perspective.

Oh, Father, please remind me today in your ever-so-loving way, that my very life is dependent on you and the breath you give.

None of us really knows why God does the things he does, in the time that he does, but in the words of Peter to Jesus... "to whom else shall we go, you have the words of eternal life." (John 6:68).

Please continue to pray for the Shaver family, especially his wife, Tonya.

No comments:

Post a Comment