Tuesday, November 3, 2009

How many people would still show?

I have had a thought that has stayed with me since Friday night. On Friday night, our team in Colombia had a victory service to celebrate the week. Along with all the North Americans, hundreds and hundreds of Colombians "crammed" into a church that had no A/C and barely any fans. It was about 93 degrees that night and the humidity was around 90%. There was no air moving at all, and within 10 minutes of being in the building, my shirt was soaked through with sweat. And you know what the coolest thing was...I didn't care at all. I was as hot as I could possibly be, and I've never wanted to be anywhere else anymore than I did that night.

So, here's the question that has stuck with me...

If it were late July in Dallas, and it was supposed to be 100-something degrees on a Sunday morning. If everyone knew that the A/C was broken at the church and there was no hope of it being fixed before services, how many people would still show up?

My sneaking suspicion is that many of the people we see on Sunday mornings wouldn't show. They'd just frankly stay home! Would you be one of those people? Would you forego the beauty of gathering with the assembly of believers and offering your praises to God? Oh, how my heart hurts for the state of Christianity in America...where so often, it's more about us and our comforts, than about God.

I'm not pointing fingers at all...I'm just grieving over this thought that has stuck with me. My prayer is that it would stick with you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment