Monday, August 30, 2010

Churched...

I recently picked up a book off the bargain rack at Mardel. The title intrigued me, I spent the $3, and took a chance. I was so glad that I did. "Churched" is the story of a young boy (now adult) who grew up in a fundamentalist, Baptist Church.

As I read this book, I wasn't sure if it was a comedy or a tragedy. There were times when I was laughing so hard, my side hurt. And yet, there were other times when my heart sank (mostly because I resonated with something he said) because I "grew up" in church, too.

It got me thinking about the danger of "growing up" in church. Whether you realize it or not, there is a real danger for kids who grow up in the church. It's a completely different kind of danger...but danger nonetheless. Reading this book, got me to start thinking about what some of those dangers are.

What do you think the "dangers" are for kids that grow up surrounded by "church"?

Another article on the same topic for your benefit - Too Much Church

No comments:

Post a Comment