Thursday, January 13, 2011

Happy or ________?

I was talking to one of our parents at Firewheel the other day, and we started talking about what they wanted for their children. Like almost every parent, they want the best for their child. What I liked about our conversation is that out of all the things they wanted for their children, they never mentioned "happiness."

So often, you hear parents who want their children to be happy. Don't get me wrong...I really do understand the heart behind what they are saying. The only problem with that, is that in the midst of their quest to give their children "happiness," they steal their child's opportunity to have something greater than merely "happiness." I know it's a very general thought, but I'm pretty sure it's true.

Happiness is so fleeting an idea anyway. One minute it's here...the next it's gone...completely! Because of this, the goal of parenting can't be to simply create happy kids, and once you've given your children enough happiness, you've arrived as a parent. There's got to be something more! There's got to be a bigger goal!


So, how would you fill in the blank (some of my first thoughts below)....


I want my child to be ______ before I want them just to be "happy."


(a lover of God, filled with joy, content, disciplined, compassionate, grateful, generous, growing, wise, etc.)


Any others that you would add to the list?

No comments:

Post a Comment