Friday, May 13, 2011

The Cure for Entitlement...

One of the things parents now-a-days lament most often is a general sense of "entitlement" that creeps into our children. It's more than just the general selfishness/center of the world issues that plague most kids. As kids get older, this entitlement issue gets more and more dangerous. So, how do we combat a sense of "entitlement"

My definition of Entitlement - "I am, therefore, I deserve."

So, as I've been thinking about this idea of entitlement, I began to ponder on what the cure for entitlement in adults and children is. How do we battle that in our own hearts and in the hearts of our children?

Here's the thought that the Lord put in my head, and I'm still pondering it and asking the Lord to reveal to me whether or not it is really true. Not only whether or not it's true...but what the implications are from it.

The cure for entitlement is a proper understanding of grace.

What I mean by "grace," is a the idea that everything we have (including your next breath) is a gift of God that is undeserved. And that all we deserve from a holy God who we fail to obey, honor, and worship every day of our lives, is death (Romans 3:23).

What do you think? Does a proper understanding of grace, help cure entitlement? Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment