Thursday, July 28, 2011

Right On Time

Yesterday, I had one of those moments where I really enjoy being a pastor to the next generation. Here's the scenario. One of our families at church has three sons, and they have been inviting me to their community pool for weeks and weeks and weeks. I told them at the beginning of the summer, that I was going to come at some point during the summer months. Well, up until that point with camp and VBS preparations, I hadn't made it to the pool yet (or at least in the time frame they wanted). As you can imagine, there little brains had a hard time fathoming why I hadn't done it "YET"! I know this, because Sunday after Sunday, they would ask me, "when are you coming to the pool"? And each Sunday, I would respond..."I promised to come this summer, and before the summer is over, I'll be there. It could happen any day. One of these days you're going to be swimming at the pool, and I'm just going to show up...so you better be ready to be dunked and such."

Well, yesterday was the day that I showed up out of the blue...

As I got to thinking about it, it sounds really familiar. It sounds a lot like what Jesus promised when he said he would come back for those who have trusted in Him. And yet, month after month passes...year after year passes...and He hasn't shown up yet. The Bible talks about how no one knows the day or the hour that He will, but He has promised to.

I saw myself for a brief moment in those boys...aching/desiring for our "long awaited" guest to show up on the scene like he had promised. I have been promising them all summer and warning them that I would show up at a moment's notice...and our LORD and Savior has done the same thing. I wondered to myself if the boys ever thought...you know, I don't think Pastor Robert is going to come to the pool this summer...and I also wonder what the joy was like for them when they realized that I had finally shown up!

  • "Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoptions as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we are saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently." Romans 8:23-25
  • "Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. He will keep you strong until the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God who has called you into his fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is FAITHFUL." 1 Corinthians 1:7-9
  • "For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope - the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ." Titus 2:11-13
  • "...for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night." 1 Thessalonians 5:2


What would you do if you knew He was coming today? What would be different? We are told time and time again in the Scriptures to be READY at all times for that day. Are you READY?

1 comment: