Monday, February 14, 2011

"Modest is always hottest..."

One of our awesome parents was talking to their then 6th grade daughter last summer, and said something to her that she must have heard dozens of times. I could tell this by the eye roll that happened right after it. But the saying was new to me, so I picked it up and stowed it away for later use. Here's what she said... "Modest is always hottest." Now, what she was trying to communicate to her daughter was that there's something about modesty that is attractive.

I'm a man, and I don't have any daughters, and I am by no means an expert on this kind of stuff. However, one of the things I've noticed in the last 10 years of children's ministry, is just how much modesty is an issue for today's young ladies (from the time they're 5-6 years old and older). Then, I ran across this article the other day that was mentioned on another parenting website that I follow, and it made me start thinking about this issue again.

Sexualization of Young Girls

If "RedBook," a completely secular magazine, is pointing a finger at this problem...then maybe it's an even bigger issue than I even thought (and I know it's an issue).

Here are some other folks discussing the Modesty issue (if you're interested in this topic at all):

Is modesty an issue in the church today?
American Psycological Association Study on Sexualization of Young Girls
Secret Keeper Girl - great website for young girls about modesty
Girls Gone Skank - from another great website "Girls Gone Wise"


Parents of daughters, what's happening out there? How are you dealing with this? What conversations are you having? Have you had to say "absolutely not"...if so, to what? How does your faith/belief in the Word of God inform this issue in your home?

No comments:

Post a Comment