Thursday, April 21, 2011

Throwback Thursday #10

For some who haven't been around here that long, this website is a few years old, and there are wonderful things that I'd like to put in front some of our "newbies" and remind some of the rest of you about. So, we're revisiting some early posts each week on Thursdays!

Original post below:


Enough to be scared...

"My definition of an expert in any field is a person who knows enough about what's really going on to be scared." - PJ Plauger


When I first read this quote, it completely stopped me in my tracks. I've found this to be true in life. When I hear someone talking about how they've got something completely figured out, they've mastered something, or how easy something is...I'm usually very cautious towards that person.

So as I was reflecting on this thought, I remembered a story about Socrates my first college history professor told when he opened up his first class of the semester. Apparently, one day, Socrates stood up in the middle of the assembly in Athens and said these famous words:

"I am the wisest man in Athens...because I know nothing...yet I know that I know nothing."

In my own life, I've seen this play out more times than I care to admit. The more I know, the more I realize that I don't really know. For many of you, that may be how you feel about parenting. The more you find out about this thing, the more you realize you don't know much at all. The more years you spend doing it, the more times you realize you might not be that great at it. That can be very humbling to think about, but there's good news. Our God has promised to give "grace to the humble" (James 4:6).

Some of the wisest and smartest people on earth are often some of the humblest. There's a way to approach life with humility, and my prayer is that you would approach parenting with that same humility. An approach that begins with the realization that no matter where you are in life, there is still so much to learn.

"Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall." (Proverbs 16:18)

"A man's pride brings him low, but a man of lowly spirit gains honor." (Proverbs 29:23)

"God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." (James 4:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment