Thursday, September 1, 2011

Kids and Facebook

I found this to be an interesting take on kids and Facebook...

When should you let your kids use Facebook

My own personal thoughts are if the rules say 13 is the age you have to be...and your kid is 11 and has a Facebook...that means you either lied for them or you don't care if they lied and bent the rules. I know what you're thinking...everyone is doing it! You might even think I'm taking too hard of a stance. However, if you think I'm taking too hard a stance, go to www.firewheelchurch.com and listen to Pastor Jerry's message on integrity from a couple of weeks ago. Integrity is so tough sometimes, and I'm with you in that battle! Now, don't hear me condemning you...that's not what I'm saying. You could just as easily point a finger back at me in other avenues of life.

Instead, what I'd ask you to consider is to whether or not you've really thought about when, how, and why you let your kids be on social media websites.

What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Hi there!

    I think this is a great topic. I unfortunately, missed the message on integrity but here is my opinion on FB for kids. My school aged girls (10 and almost 12) do not have Facebook accounts and MANY of their friends do. We have had this discussion and we feel we will hold out for awhile (at the very least 13) before allowing them to have a social media account. I understand facebook is, for the most part, open and visible to 'check-in' on your kiddo,but I also do not feel it is a place for children. They need to learn how to be social in other ways first. We are very strict as to what our kids do on the computer and try to limit their exposure to constant not suitable for their age. They get enough bad stuff in public school, we will protect them in ways we have control. No FB for now :)

    Lisa V

    ReplyDelete